Woolworths Distribution Centre

Constructed Wetland

Rainwater Harvesting

Pond (Retention pond)

Grey and Black Water Recycling

Created at: 08 Feb 2019


Storm water is collected in a series of three retention ponds via a large single roof structure. The grey water from the building is harvested into the first two ponds before being filtered through a vertical wetland into the third pond. The irrigation system is designed in such a way that it is extracted from the third pond at night to minimise evaporation and prevent interference with the daily distribution activities. To further reduce water consumption the landscape design and plant selection was carefully selected for their irrigation requirements. This system reduced the potable water demand by 75%. The remaining 25% is supplemented by borehole water. The result of this strategy saved the Client 100% expenditure in potable water and thousands of rands per year.

Help us provide more detailed information about this project by contributing!

About the author

Aa'isha Dollie

• Submitted 153 projects
• Expert at Water
• South Africa

View all 153 projects by this author →

Related projects

Below you will find the latest related projects in this category.

Show more related projects →

View all Water projects →